[tcb] Re: Eureka Springs woes and a new plan.

  • From: Sammie Smith <slsmith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 13:59:59 -0500

Denis has one good point. I spent three great years in northwest Arkansas and thought on the way home (down the pig trail/ hwy 23) that wouldn't it be great if they held that show in late September/early October. It's cool and glorious in those hillbilly hollows that time of year.
Sammie

At 08:45 AM 8/30/2005, you wrote:

I think the ES show has major problems, but I learned from just trying to have a simple campout/party, that no matter how I tried there will be problems, pissed off people, no shows, lots of weird vibes. Paul has told me that he has problems with his show, even as much as everyone loves it. I think that Paul and Steve and Sharon's shows may move smoother because they are events planned by their hearts and supported by people who love them. I guess that ES used to be put on by people emotionally attached, but I hear that the main guy died.

I still think it is a great show and destination, I wonder if it can save itself, but I am afraid it is in decline. The Bug ins at Ennis once was once one of my #1 shows, but now I don't care about it at all.

SO, NOW LET'S DISCUSS HAPPY THINGS AND LOOK TO THE FUTURE.

The #1 complaint I heard about my show and ES was the heat. It is really f%#@*! hot here in August. So there comes 2 questions, When could we move it to and will people from Houston (for example) come all this way for a new show. I think the calendar is crowded with shows, but Dan came up with a new idea.

At the end of September the city of Fayetteville Arkansas holds a huge event called Bikes Blues and Barbeque. Last year it was the site for the finals of the Discovery Channel's Big Bike Buildoff and the BBQ cook-off is a stop on the National Barbecue Championship Circuit, so the event is BIG. What if we held a VW show at my place on Nob Hill and the Campout at my house? I own about 6 acres on both sides of the road, there are 2 restaurants within walking distance, well, some of you know my area very well by now. I have a vision of us doing a "parade" through the festival on Saturday. I will get ahold of the organizers of BB&B and see if they will even entertain us getting included.

Of course, we will not try this year, but we could get it together by next September. I would be interested in hearing if people would come all this distance for a show/cookoff on the weekend of September 30, 2006.