[tcb] Re: Engine Rebuilder Recommendations

  • From: Dan Martin <danandkatrinamartin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:17:02 -0600

I am kinda surprised no body told you not to waste your time till you
can find a split bus to fix up, I know some of you split bus guys
wanted to.
I too am glad to see another Phat Chick back on the roads.
I am impressed with you list of things you have already done to get it
back on the road.
It covers most of the stuff I did on my bus after dragging it out of
the field, I just don't like to think about it, and don't type fast, so
seeing it all neatly typed out like you have is pretty cool. I went
thru the same bunch of questions you are dealing with now when I killed
the GEX motor that came with my other bus. After much discussion, with
local shops, the type2 list, and all the vw people I knew at the time,
I had Kermit at ASK Imports build mine to my specs. This is not the
cheapest or easiest way to go but I am happy 2 years and MANY miles
later. I had some problems  with the engine at the beginning (defective
cam) that caused me to have to remove the engine, strip it to a long
block and return it to Kermit to have the cam replaced. It was not what
I had in mind when I got into it to start with, but looking back on it
I am glad I was not having to do it with a vendor out of town or out of
state. I know I am saying the same thing as Mark and I agree with all
he said including the good info on Oak Hill, I also know their are a
couple people on the list in the DFW area that should be able to hook
you up with right person or local shop for you.
Welcome to the list!
Good Luck!