[tcb] Re: Engine Rebuilder Recommendations

  • From: Mark Sawyer <mechmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 10:36:07 -0800 (PST)

Hi Scott, My name is Mark Sawyer and I am in the VW clubs in the Houston area.
I usually build my own engines but I have had experience with one of the
builders you have listed below.
Stay away from GEX by all means. AVP and JSC Volks I am not familiar with. The
absolute best that I have found in your area is Oak Hill Automotive in
Longview, TX. Their phone number is 903-297-3496. they also have a web
site.www.oakhillautomotive.com. Another good source for information on the web
is www.aircoolers.org. They have a chapter in the Dallas area and are a good
bunch of people. Good to hear that another Bay window is coming out of
retirement. See you on the road---

Mark Sawyer aka "The Vanagon Guy"

Scott Goodno <sgoodno@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,

I'm new to VW's and recently bought a '70 Type 2. It was basically a =
basket
case, but is a little better now after 6 weeks and much prep work. I've
finally made the maiden flight! Feels pretty good except for the =
slipping
clutch and telltale oil trail down the street! As far as I can tell, =
the
bus had been sitting idle anywhere between 4-18 years. Now, onto =
looking
seriously at the engine. It currently has a 1500 bug motor installed =
and a
severely corroded case. It does leak oil, a lot, and I suspect the main
seal is also bad. The clutch is toasted, but the transmission seems ok.
Shifter is quite sloppy. Upon start-up the engine knocks loudly but =
goes
away after some oil pressure has built up. Idles very well but I still =
need
to rebuild the carb.=20

Anyway, I was really wanting to change the engine for a new or rebuilt =
1600
with some mods to help with the horsepower, torque and esp. reliability. =
My
desire is to use the bus as an occasional camper and get maximum =
reliability
from the motor. I am looking at AVP, GEX and JSC Volks as potential =
sources
for new or rebuilt motors. So far, I think, I would order a 1641cc with
external oil filter setup, alternator, dual port, deep oil sump, new =
clutch,
electronic ignition and header as additional accessories. My questions =
are:

Are there other quality rebuilders you have experience with other than =
those
I listed? Local to Dallas area or national?
Would you recommend any other additional mild modifications other than =
those
I listed?=20
Any additional advice?

As an aside, I'm recording all of my work on a spreadsheet, so I have
attached the list of things I did to my bus to take it from dead in a =
field
to running. Some are pretty minor others are a necessity. Hopefully, =
it
may be helpful for use as a checklist for other novices, like me, just
getting started!

Regards and thanks for any advise you can give,

Scott
Dallas
'70 Bus

System Description

Electrical Spark Plugs - Gap and Install
Electrical Coil - Replaced
Electrical Spark plug wires - Replaced and routed
Electrical Distributor cap and rotor - Replaced
Electrical Ground strap - Body to motor strap broken - Replaced
Electrical Ground strap - Battery - Cleaned and reinstalled
Electrical Replace ignition switch and lock cylinder
Electrical Positive strap - Battery - Cleaned wire and replaced
terminal end
Electrical Generator - Cleaned all electrical connections. Replace wire
connectors
Electrical Voltage Regulator - Inspect and clean connections
Electrical Starter - Inspect and clean connections
Electrical Coil - Connect Pos. terminal to ignition and to 2 points on
carburetor
Electrical Change out broken fuse box
Electrical Install new Battery
Electrical Distributor condenser and points - Replace and adjust
Electrical Check Dwell and adjust timing
Engine Oil Change and new oil strainer
Engine Lubricate and manually turn motor
Engine Belt - Replaced and tensioned
Engine Inspect and purchase bolt, nut, washers and sealant for front =
Engine
Case
Engine Oil pressure switch connection - Tested bad. Replaced
Engine Flush Engine with Gunk Cleaner. Clean strainer and refill with =
Oil
Fuel Fuel line replacement - End to end - New hose and clamps
Fuel Fuel filter change - Added 2nd filter between pump and carb
Fuel Fuel tank drain, refill and drain. No rust or sludge
concerns
Fuel Clean Carburetor - Carb cleaner spray
Fuel Inspect/reposition/lubricate throttle cable end to end.
Replace throttle tube
Fuel Fuel tank fill - 5 gallons + fuel conditioner
General Complete electrical schematic poster for garage
General Clean up engine bay - Degrease and power spray
General Paint and reinstall steering col. Tube, ignition housing and =
support
bracket
TransmissionTransmission fluid change
Body Remove old tires from rims
Body Strip rims and sand/acid etch
Body Paint rims with POR15
Body Dust rims with Primer. Complete primer coat
Body Paint rims with color coat
Body Order/receive tires.=20
Body Paint rims with clear coat
Body Install new tires and balance.
Body Clean and POR15 lug bolts
Body Removed and cleaned up rust on Driver seat
Brakes Recheck rear brake installation, adjust star wheels and torque =
axel
nut.
Brakes Order, Paint and form/replace REAR steel brake lines
Brakes Replace REAR brake flexible hoses
Brakes Fill and bleed brake system. Adjust shoes.
Brakes Replace brake master cylinder. Install and adjust linkage
Brakes R/R Rear brakes with new cylinders, spring kit, shoes, adjust
Brakes Paint POR 15 Rear Brake Parts and Connecting Links
Brakes Check Rear Drum diameter and condition
Brakes Paint POR 15 Front Brake Parts and Connecting Links
Brakes Check Front Drum Diameter and condition.
Brakes Install used brake fill reservoir and tube line to main =
reservoir.
POR 15 under tube
Brakes R/R Front brakes with new cylinders, spring kit, shoes, adjust =
star
wheels
Brakes Order, Paint and form/replace FRONT steel brake lines
Brakes Replace FRONT brake flexible hoses
Suspension Replace existing REAR shocks with KYB Gas-A-Justs. POR15
behind shocks. =20
Suspension Replace existing FRONT shocks with KYB Gas-A-Justs. POR15
behind shocks. =20
Front Axle Replace and lubricate all lub points. Ordered new grease
fittings
Front Axle Clean and pack front wheel bearings - Install new grease
seals