[tcb] Re: Electronic Ignition

  • From: Justin Wilt <sunbugone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 13:20:14 -0600

Shakey nailed it and Neil explained why electronic ignitions get a bad rap.
 User error.  People use the wrong coils, connect them wrong, power their
timing lights from the - and + side of the coil etc...  I have used both,
points left me stranded in a blizzard, easy fix with some sand paper.  I
have unilite units in both my cars without a single problem in 12 years.  I
don't carry any spare distributors either.  Fred, it sounds like you need to
find the true problem rather than spending money on an electronic ignition.
Your engine should run fine with points and condenser.  A good carb may be a
better investment if you are running a Brazilian, Mexican or Chinese carb

Justin