[tcb] Re: Displacement spreadsheet

  • From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 16:25:18 -0700 (PDT)

Stroke for torque:  Bore for rpms.  Bus engine needs torque more than rpms.
You
are limited in the rpms for a bus by the simple fact that you can't go fast.
You need torque to haul the weight and get up hills without rowing with the
tranny shift stick.

The reason 1776 and 1835 engines are popular is because they are a cheap way to
get cc's.  You don't have to do anything but stick on bigger jugs.  You want
the
best VW engine you are gonna have to stroke it.  And as the saying goes;
horsepower cost money, how many do you want?

One of the least expensive engines is a 74 X 88 which gives you right at 1800cc
and is a great bug motor.  It is my understanding that Lyle used to build a lot
of these engines for the bug.