[tcb] Re: Deep oil sump

  • From: Conrad Klahn <conradk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 17:52:30 -0500

There was an interesting program on PBS re: Chinese manufacturing and most of
the reproduction is done either by eye/hand reverse-engineering, or from
sketches or poorly translated CAD. So given that, it is amazing they can get as
close as they do. The manufacturers offer services such that you send in
photographs, general dimensions, etc. and they will reproduce it. It all made
sense when they compared it to the age-old calligraphy art.

But you're right - would you rather have an engineered product or a
reverse-engineered product.

As an aside, I plan to use an oil cooler rather than a sump. As far as the
additional oil volume goes, great idea. As far as the cooling goes - the extra
oil gets hot, then what?