[tcb] Re: Deep oil sump

  • From: Dan Martin <danandkatrinamartin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 08:10:48 -0500

I run this one:

http://www.geneberg.com/product_info.php?cPath=5_105_2726&products_id=438

Some of the empi ones I looked at were junk (buyer beware)
It has never hit anything.

On Jul 21, 2010, at 7:17 AM, Julie wrote:

The '68 Bus of mine is homemade camper, a one of a kind which is cool but it is much heavier than let's say a Westy. It has been suggested to me to perhaps add a deep oil sump, with the idea being that more oil will help the engine that will be working hard moving such a heavy beast stay cooler. Do you think it is a good idea?

When talking to my local parts guy he wanted to make sure that I am aware that the deep oil sump adds up to 2 3/4" to the bottom of the engine. There are some choices that are thinner but then hold less extra oil. Should I be worried about extending the engine closer to the ground? I don't imagine doing any crazy off roading adventures with this Bus, it is currently in not-so-great-a-shape so it is odd just imagining it moving at all.

Julie