[tcb] Re: Deep oil sump

  • From: "Denis Dodson" <coocoo@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 07:49:25 -0500

Murray does not have a sump. He has a remote oil cooler, what they call a 12
pass, which means that the oil goes back and forth 12 times though the
cooling fins before returning to the engine. This calls for hoses and clamps
and such, which greatly increasing the chance of leaks and hose failures. I
also have a remote filter which raises Murray's oil capacity to near 5
quarts. After running at highway speeds for hours Murray rarely gets hotter
than 180 degrees. I did all this after my first engine failed because of low
oil pressure due to the builder leaving out the plunger in the deep oil
relief valve. When I built the new engine I put in all this out of
superstition and paranoia that my oil may get too hot.

And when he is on his trailer, he runs really cool.

In your Bay bus, Eric is correct that you should not have clearance
problems, you probably have stuff that hands down farther than 2 3/4".