[tcb] Re: Day two sorta /Fri Sept 25, 2006

  • From: Dan Martin <danandkatrinamartin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 15:46:28 -0500

I use this list:

Traveling Items:

Having tools on the road isn't much good unless you also have part when you break down. Always carry the following so you don't get stranded over $5-10 in parts.

Bentley. Do not leave home without the offical service manual.
Spare keys
8A, 16A fuses
1 qt. of oil and fan belt
Spare bulbs
Spare fuel filter
Rotor, cap, points, condenser (even if you have a pertronix installed)
Spark plugs
Clutch cable, clevis pin
Accelerator cable
Fire extinguisher (if not for you, the poor owner's VW you see on fire)
Jumper cables
Blocks of wood (these never go out of style)

from http://www.ratwell.com/technical/VWToolKit.html

His list of spares for a road trip are close to what I carry.

On Aug 28, 2006, at 3:41 PM, Dan Martin wrote:

Spare accelerator cable came in very handy on thursday afternoon.
I have a clutch cable as well.
I think Paul likes to carry around 30 cents worth of valve cover gaskets.

On Aug 28, 2006, at 3:31 PM, Will Wood wrote:

Sounds like a personal problem.. ;-)

I agree, there's *some* things you can't account for. But What's in your tools/or parts do you bring along?

I mean, I think that's a good list to promote. There used to be a list out on the old Type 2 site, but I've long since forgotten that place. If you're going to be a road warrior in an old bus and you don't want to get stuck (for long) what's the minimums?

From: Will Wood <evilscientistboo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 15:22:03 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

This brings up a question, do any of you have a "checklist" of those tools
and parts that you take along
with you because of the lack of availability at a FLAPS?