[tcb] Re: DAC Trip Report

  • From: Katrina Martin <k.d.martin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 17:35:35 -0500

Freakin' 14 VW's in that cruise!
U go man.
There should have been a trophy for most VW's in a cruise, DAC would win.

Katrina & Dan Martin
71'bus "Homer"
http://web.mac.com/danandkatrinamartin

On Apr 23, 2007, at 5:21 PM, wuzmop@xxxxxxx wrote:

Thursday 9 am at Fat Daddy’s: Scott was first. I was second, as everybody else trickled in on time, the Fat Daddy’s crew was rolling in and was stoked to see us, let us use the can and all that good stuff. The best part? Nobody was late! NOBODY!

9:45 am, roll call:

Scott
John
Mike and June
Angii, Natt and Bevo
Mike, Alecia and Ford
Me, Sonja and Boy
Chuck
Steve
Derick, Rebecca and Family
Dustin

7 Busses, 1 Squareback, 1 Fasty, 3 bugs (1 bug and fasty towing)

10 am, on the road until we come to I30. Parking lot. Crappity wappity. We debated for 15 minutes and realized we were better off back tracking thru Mesquite to I20. Took us about 30 minutes out of our way, but beats the hell out of breaking one of our 40 year old rides before we even get out of town. Steve, Chuck, and Dustin braved the parking lot, but with the exception of Dustin, they were towing.

30 minutes or so off schedule, we roll into Alvarado to meet up with Shawn and Bodean, and we are full blown on our way. Add one more Fasty and a Ghia to the cruise.

Really quiet until about 15 minutes this side of Lampasses. Bodean and a few others were a couple of minutes ahead of the busses, talking on the two ways about stopping at a VW shop on the way to see if it’s open. It’s been closed the past 3 years. Us bus guys were just ready to keep going, when Mike and June’s bus contracted the "Steering Wobble of Doom". We pulled over at a rest stop, diagnosed the problem as a broken ball joint, declared ourselves f^% ked. Bodean and them called, had made it to the shop, and it was open. WHOOHOO! We limped the bus at 40 mph the 15 or so miles, the guy didn’t have the part, but had a welder and fixed us right up. For $40! The dude could’ve stuck it to us on this one. What a great guy, and a lucky break for us. Back on track after maybe an hour down.

The rest of the ride was uneventful, we rolled into Fredericksburg at around 6 pm., there happened to be a bull dozer in the spot we picked!!!MMMMM! BEER time! Beer and bull dozers!

Thursday night, we were unsuccessful at starting the bulldozer, but we should get an A for effort. Not sure what we would’ve done with it had we started it, but I’m sure we would’ve found something. We had the place to ourselves for the most part, it’s all a blur.

Friday, the ball started rolling as Dan, Katrina, Denis, and a whole host of others were rolling in. DAC went into town to hit the German bar in Steve’s fasty, Bodean almost got us kicked out for his face being on the receiving end of a huge stack of coasters. Damn, Bodean.

Saturday I was grumpy and couldn’t figure out a damn thing to do with myself. Thanks to Steve making me take a stacker 2 and an energy drink, I was still grumpy, but hyper. Hyper AND grumpy, that’s when people REALLY like to hang out with me. Thanks again, Steve. Shawn understood, and was glad to assist me in being a completely useless b%^ch. People I didn't even know were asking me why I had been crying. WTF?

I was able to harness the energy and accomplish volunteering for serving the grub that evening, along with Bodean and Sonja. 45 minutes we were done, like 200 million people. The super cool apron and hat, it was just like working the buffet at Pizza Inn again.

Saturday night, and we’ve managed to stay out of trouble for the most part, but it was only a matter of time. The evil forces of SAAC gave in, and once again, Steve was instigated into drag racing and burnout contests. That’s ok, he got his ass chewed, while I got a ride in The Zone!. :p

Sunday, the show was HUGE. 350+ cars from what I hear. Rusty Bus/ Thing Mike, Steve, Bodean, Kirk and I volunteered to judge, while Sonja worked the raffle table and food. Sonja worked the entire weekend, thank her when you see her!

Chuck won the Coke cooler! CHUCK!

The ride home was quiet. About 5 hours. Not bad in a bunch of busses.

4 days in a German town with 300 VW’s, countless trips to the beer store, and over 600 miles in a dozen + 40 year old cars who were designed in the 30’s, with a great cruising team backing each other up the whole way. I would say "priceless", but that's played out.

361 days of rest until we get to do it all over again.

Great job Steve, Sharon and everybody else involved!