[tcb] Current Shape of things (Rear Brake Bleeding)

  • From: vw1971 <treyjung@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 13:29:32 -0500

I tried to bleed the brakes and some fluid came out but it wouldn't continue
flowing. I pulled the drum off and notice the right side of  the brake
cylinder was wet ( leaking ) .(ah ha found the problem. I cleaned up the
drum and pulled the shoes and replaced the brake cylinder ( I had a new
one)  .. putting the brake drum back on I noticed that  I didn't have much
room for the Axel nut after the drum was on, pulled off the drum and thought
the Axel shaft was shorter than before... I pulled on the axle shaft, it
moved out some. Also the trans axle moved too. (this can't be good, am I
right?)

I notice something loose on the axle , its the spacer sleeve I think
(looking at Bently page 60 Fig. 10-10 in Transmission and Rear axle) ,,,,, I
pulled it out and can see ball bearings ... This again can;t be good......

Figuring out what I can do next......... It seems the spacer goes back in
but has about an 1/8 of an inch sticking out.,... (something slipped to keep
it from going on?) or do I just pound on it with a block of wood to get it
back in?

Anyone got any ideas?

Trey