[tcb] Re: Coolant Sensor

  • From: Sarah Strom-Kieschnick <photofreakk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 19:08:05 -0800 (PST)

This should help me Thank You Mark and Tom!

Sarah Strom-Kieschnick
For the Love of Nature, a wildlife outreach & education non-profit
Rescuer of all Creatures, Nature, and the Environment
404-663-4959 cell phone
325-529-6599 landline
photofreakk@xxxxxxxxx
fortheloveofnature@xxxxxxxxx
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/fortheloveofnature

"Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the
last fish has been caught will we realize that we can't eat money."
--Cree proverb

Please do not print this email unless you really have to.

On Tuesday, December 10, 2013 7:24 PM, M. Sawyer <mechmark63@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Read closer, There is a bleeder screw on top of the radiator once you remove
the grill. You have to jack the front of your vanagon up about 6 inches and
open the bleeder screw until you get just fluid and no air. I have also opened
the bleeder cold and filled the radiator with a modified soda bottle and a
fountain pen glued to the cap.

http://www.vanagonauts.com/By-the-Bentley193.htm

Hope this helps.

M. Sawyer

From:  Tom Snodgrass <tom@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sender:  tcb-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 16:39:12 -0600
To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
ReplyTo:  tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Did you bleed the air out of the cooling system?  I've never done it on a gas
powered water cooled Vanagon, but here's a procedure that I found online:

http://www.benplace.com/bleeding.htm

This procedure starts with draining the coolant, so you might want to skip to
the part that says "To bleed, your choice:"

You might also want to make sure that the thermostat is indeed opening and not
stuck shut.

--Tom

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 3:52 PM, <photofreakk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Have a 85 vanagon that blew the top off of coolant and found it was the sensor
seal had blown off and rings broken.  Whe got new sensor, and filled main tank
and reserve tank-turning the van on still shoots up too hot, do I have to max
out the main tank with coolant fluid so it touches the sensor tips?? I mean
that's obvious right, or not?