[tcb] Re: Coolant Sensor

  • From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 15:49:59 -0800 (PST)

I'm a complete dummy on watercooled vanagons; but I have heard my mechanic
friends talk about bleeding the coolant system and it sounds like a PITA.

From: Tom Snodgrass <tom@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: tcb-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 16:39:12 -0600
To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
ReplyTo: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Did you bleed the air out of the cooling system?  I've never done it on a gas
powered water cooled Vanagon, but here's a procedure that I found online:

http://www.benplace.com/bleeding.htm

This procedure starts with draining the coolant, so you might want to skip to
the part that says "To bleed, your choice:"

You might also want to make sure that the thermostat is indeed opening and not
stuck shut.

--Tom

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 3:52 PM, <photofreakk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Have a 85 vanagon that blew the top off of coolant and found it was the sensor
seal had blown off and rings broken.  Whe got new sensor, and filled main tank
and reserve tank-turning the van on still shoots up too hot, do I have to max
out the main tank with coolant fluid so it touches the sensor tips?? I mean
that's obvious right, or not?