[tcb] Re: Clutch testing/adjusting

  • From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 16:01:10 -0800 (PST)

Yes, putting the brakes on and stopping the wheels from turning should stall
the
engine.  If your clutch is slipping that bad I don't think adjusting it will
fix
it.  But, to properly adjust your clutch either loosen or tighten until you
have
approx .4 to .8 inches of free play in the pedal.  You should be able to push
the clutch pedal in lightly with your hand the .4-.8" until you feel
resistence.  If it is more than that tighten the nut until you get the right
amount of free play.  If less or none then loosen until you get free play and
the correct amount.

It is possible to have the cable so tight that the pressure plate is not
releasing enough and allowing the clutch to slip badly enough to allow the
engine to continue to run.  You would have to have the cable really over tight
to allow that to happen.  It really sounds as if you have a really badly
slipping clutch.  Did you just reinstall the engine and/or clutch or replace
the
clutch cable?  If so it is possible that you might have gotten it that tight.
But, it is really tough to get a cable so tight as to allow the clutch to slip
that much.

Get the play in the pedal correct by adjustment and then try the experiment
again.  If the engine continues to run then there is a bad clutch.