[tcb] Re: Chuck wants to know

  • From: Sammie Smith <slsmith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 11:27:50 -0500

Paul's problem is one of those elusive things you just have to keep looking for, or simply wait till it breaks. Had a similar, though I don't think its his problem, with my 65 Westy. Ran great, drove like new, but on the way home from the very first bus camp out at Belton running about 60 it made a "chunking" noise from the drive train and vibrated. I shut the engine down immediately and began coasting. Sounded just like a rear break drum just about to strip out the splines. After stopping I started back up and drove slowly the rest of the way home. Never made another noise. Checked both rear drums. Fine, no problem. OK, I'm lost; what is it? Next trip was to Longview, about 150 miles round trip. Half way back home it makes the same noise and vibration again. Loose flywheel, broken pressure plate, redux box about to let go? I don't know. Never did it again. Had a slight rear main seal leak, so at the first opportunity, time permitting I'm going to pull the engine, examine the flywheel, clutch, etc and replace the main seal. Pull the pressure plate and it looks fine. Examine the clutch disc. Found the problem. Center of clutch disc, not the lining, on this particular type of clutch plate had become worn where it was attached with rivets. Apparently it would occasionally decide to jump around and rattle. It was about to break, and if it had I would have known for certain. Replaced the clutch disc, problem solved.

Have talked to Paul about possible problems. The possibility of bad wheel bearings sounds the most plausible. Maybe adjusted too tight and heating up? How bout letting some really good VW mechanic drive it while it's doing its thing? Other wise we can only speculate, or wait till it breaks.
Sammie

At 10:38 AM 9/19/2005, you wrote:
My brother in law, the ex VW mechanic, wants to know if we found the problem with Paul's Zone. I still think it is a bad tire or a lost balance eight on the passenger side. Chuck thought up something gruesome, a loose flywheel.