[tcb] Re: Camp sites

  • From: Steve Chamberlain <steveraychamberlain@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2014 12:01:33 -0600

Denis, the pictures like you took of my bus on the way home from Buses No
Where Near the Arch, after you cried and whined about not getting to ever
drive but if I let you drive your bus and put mine on the trailer how happy
that would make you. Then less than ten miles down the road I get a call
that pictures were all over the internet of my 'Trailer Queen'. I was
wishing for your trailer Friday. We headed out to celebrate Madi Gras but
after fighting the wind all the way to Buffalo as the weather turned colder
we looked at all the clouds and thought this is not fun. So we turned
around... with the wind to our back it was smooth sailing going north on
45. After lunch the sun came out and about Corsicana Sharon said we could
easily cut across to First Monday. So off we went on a side road toward
Canton. Well we didn't get there, off to the side of the side road there
was a Goodwill thrift store in the small town of Mabank.
The bus had not been idling since leaving home so we decided to stop and I
worked on the carb while Sharon shopped. Big mistake. She bought an antique
wooden bed. After pulling everything out of the bus including the kitchen
sink (well the refrigerator with the water pump) I still couldn't get the
head board inside. We finally tied it on the roof rack and since by then it
was getting late we headed off into the sunset toward home. The bed seemed
to be secure so everything was going smooth, styling like the Beverly
Hillbillies, up 175 till we hit I-20. Road alert signs indicated a wreck
and traffic was moving along sometimes reaching the lightning speed of 20
mph. Shifting from 1st to 2nd and back was getting old till just past I-45,
in the center lane, there was a pop and the gas pedal went to the floor. I
got out crawled under the bus (still in the center lane) and sure enough
the accelerator cable had broken.
I finally had Sharon turn the wheel and I started pushing; except for the
jerk in the semi that almost took us out the drivers let us over to the
shoulder. There I pulled out my spare cables to find the one for a bus was
a single wire with no head to attach to the carb. Note to self - make sure
you carry a complete correct cable or a spare attachable head.
By this time a nice young kid had pulled off to help. He said he lived in
Temple and drove a 61 bug. Ted & Alma, turns out he is on the base and
attended the Garlyn Shelton show last year. Said they call him Da-way (not
sure of the spelling) like Yay-way the basketball player. Anyway he was a
lifesaver, he drove to the auto stores to find an attachable head. Well he
couldn't find one, which I didn't really think he could but he brought back
a package of metal wire crimps. We took the old head that had broken off
just outside the dog house and butt crimped the two together. We were back
on the road (which was still bumper to bumper) in no time thanks to Da Way.
I told him that we would see him at the Shelton show in May.
Once again we were shown that it's not the destination but the adventure
getting there. That and don't change course in the middle of the stream. As
a bonus, I had to take the distributor and the kill switch off to get to
the cable. When I put the kill switch back and tightened it the bus started
to idle correctly. DUH!
Saturday morning we were still thinking about Canton but decided to head
down to Austin. Just got home to 29 degrees with sleet hitting us. Hope
everyone makes it home before the blizzard gets too bad. Guess we should
have gone to Galveston - we sure missed everyone.