[tcb] Re: Bypass filtering, an initial report

  • From: Will Wood <evilscientistboo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 09:19:06 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

No, that's a full flow configuration.  I'm running one of those as well.  The
issue around full flow systems is the filters have an internal bypass mechanism
to allow oil to bypass the filtering medium when the pressure is too high or
the filter becomes plugged with gunk.  Typical full flow filters will also only
catch particles down to 30-40 microns.  Some filters do much better, down to 25
microns.  A bypass configuration takes a small amount of oil, in my case from
the pressure switch location, and filters 100% of it.  The bypass style filter
also has a tighter medium and filters down to the 2-3 micron range and has no
internal routing for clogging or pressure, 100% of the oil that passes through
it is filtered.  The B50 is rated at 3 microns.  Now, why do this?  Studies are
indicating that most of the engine wear is occurs from particles in the oil in
the 5-20 micron range, smaller than what a typical full flow filter will
eliminate.

So, that's why I installed a bypass configuration along with my full flow
configuration.  I want to see if it does reduce wear by cleaning the oil of as
much of the particulate matter as possible, thus extending engine life.
There's lots of information and folks saying what's best etc.  I took the
"Fleet" approach where Diesel engine folks speak highly of the Baldwins, and at
$4 they're not bad from a cost perspective.  Using this approach I want to get
20K miles between oil changes using a top grade oil like Royal Purple or
Castrol Syntec.  I'm a believer in Syntec and haven't run Royal Purple before.
I've also looked at AmsOil but that to me seems like Amway more than anything
else and the prices are outrageous.

Here's some pics of my setup, please ignore my messy wiring, I'm in the process
of installing a few relays and an additional fuse block in the engine
compartment.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/EvilBus/3ngin3/a975989f.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/EvilBus/3ngin3/0dbd7592.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/EvilBus/3ngin3/360d0139.jpg