[tcb] Bypass filtering, an initial report

  • From: Will Wood <evilscientistboo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 22:43:04 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

I just recently completed a modification to my 63 DC by installing a bypass
filter system.  The truck has a 2387 with a full flow system and external
cooler.  I'm running Castrol Syntec and have 4500 miles on the engine and 2200
miles on the oil.  Like most oil, it gets a the byproducts of combustion in it,
however with the bypass system I'm experiencing a cleanup of the oil after 120
miles.  It's going back to clear... ;-)

I'll post some pics soon but basically I have a Baldwin B50 bypass filter on an
Empi oil filter mount with an adapter (from 3/4-16 Ford thread to 5/8-20 Bypass
thread) and steel braided teflon lines.   The AN-4 lines are connected off of a
VDO adapter tee block on the oil pressure switch location.  The return is in
the cover for the fuel pump block off (I'm running electric).   This system
should theoretically help me get to 20,000 miles between oil changes on
synthetic oil.  I'll have to change the full flow and bypass filters about
every 6,000 miles and add oil as necessary.  I plan on changing this Castrol
Syntec out in another 4K miles and going with Royal Purple, changing filters of
course then I'll see if this stuff really works.

Initial costs are about $135 for: the lines (most of the cost), the filter
bracket ($15), the threaded adapter ($10),
Baldwin Filters (B50s X 2) $8 and the VDO Tee Adapter ($12).   With the B50
filters being $4/each this seems to be an economical choice.  If I want more
filtration Baldwin has a larger version of the B50 with more capacity using the
same mounting footprint, the B164 that I may try it if I see the oil get
excessively "dirty."