[tcb] Busses Nowhere Near the Arch trip

  • From: "Denis" <coocoo@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 18:24:12 -0500

I just got home from putting a little over 800 miles on Murray. All driven, no
trailer. The only trouble was a broken fan belt on the return trip outside of
Monett, MO. I was lucky to see my oil temp going up to 220 after smelling
something burning. And the little light on the speedometer was on. I had a
replacement in my tool drawer, so the whole problem only cost me about 30
minutes. I was worried during most of the trip because of a rhythmic grinding
noise that I figured was a bearing, or something horrible, dangerous and
expensive until I reached under the dash and wiggled the speedo cable. Fixed.
Oh, and I scraped my steering box for the first time in a long time and tore up
my horn wire.

Last year I trailered Murray up because he was in repair from the tree
incident, and I was surprised at how many people came up and were amazed that
he ever recovered and was running so well. They thought that I was delusional
about really getting him back on the road.

It rained, off and on, most of the trip and I used clear packing tape on the
safaris and stayed nice and dry.

I'm kinda tired now.