[tcb] Bulli Brigade Trip Report

  • From: "Denis Dodson" <coocoo@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 11:58:18 -0500

There is just no way to tell all here without it being a blog, and I can't
figure out why people read blogs.I mean, sure, I have lots to say about stuff,
but who wants to read someone else's diary? And who thinks that their thoughts
so important that others would stop and read them? Here is a Reader's Digest
style accounting.

Chuck and I left Monday, a day earlier than we planned, and got to Montgomery,
Alabama the first night and in the morning we decided that we were so far ahead
of schedule that we would go straight South to Florabama so Chuck could see the
beautiful coast there. We went through Gulfport and down to Apalachicola and
ate oysters and grouper, mmmmmm good. Then we went through miles and miles of
Florida pines and realized that the forest was all in rows. Whether logged off
or fires or for whatever reason, the whole forest for many miles is tall mature
trees planted in rows.

Chuck was navigator, but he was all old style with an Atlas. Dan was giving
excellent directions and advice from DanStar Command. At one point Chuck points
to a left turn lane (Dan had said to take the next left, but Chuck insisted
that we turn earlier, and I drove the big truck with a big trailer right into a
Walgreen's parking lot and then made me go through a construction zone for a
Wal-Mart, or something and into a one way the wrong way, so I had to do two
illegal u-turns to get back on the right road. Later DanStar saved us from
being lost and eaten by bears in a thick Florida forest where we were looking
for the Hampton Inn. We took the exit for a town, but it may have been a
practical local joke because there was no town for miles. DanStar got us back
on track, but when we saw the hotel we got all excited and tried to u-turn to
the entrance instead of going to Spooner Road and to the real entrance. It was
an optical illusion and we had to get back on the highway and go to Spooner
Road and DanStar hung up on us. I had to beg forgiveness get DanStar back.

Through Tampa and St. Pete to Bradenton. Arrived at Kip's Rare and Unique, took
Murray off the trailer and stashed the trailer in the trees. Wednesday night we
drank beer and tequila and Goldshlager. Thursday we picked up Jan at the Tampa
airport. She has a job and all so she flew in Thursday and out Sunday.

Thursday night is the "Cruise" to the Sonic, except that there was really no
cruise to there and no cruise out. It is really a meet and greet where all
kinds of cars from Fridolins to High tops, to bugs and type 3s to single and
double cabs both Splitty and bays start to show up for the weekend. It sounds
like  nothing, but it actually is great fun. Lots of great restorations and
bizarre customizations.

Then, Friday night, THE BASH. Really, for me, the high point (or low) of the
whole weekend. Kip Zimmerman and his brother, Brian said they sold 900 tickets.
We all estimated 300 to 350 cars of absolutely every kind. Flamethrowers, rats
and, again, meticulous restorations. Sammie, as big and as many cars as you saw
last year, there were so many cars that I don't remember hardly any repeats.
Campfires, free beer, chicken fajitas ( we ate all of it and they went out and
got more).

Sharon was sick, so Steve took her to the hotel and came back and got parked
in, and was, literally, several layers of cars from ever getting out. He said
several times that he really needed to go but we all laughed. Late in the night
a small number of cars started to work their way out of the crowd and a small
lane opened up and I walked Steve and his bus out through the crowd.

For some reason, later, I had no sense of time, the earth started a distinct
slant and I had a hard time walking in it, so I thought that I would get in
Murray and lie down for a minute. The band ( one of three ) was still playing,
but like I said, there was something wrong with the ground, so I laid down.

To my surprise, it was morning then. My good friend, Murray, took me to the
7-11 and I bought coffee and aspirin.

On to the Bulli Brigade!

More to come, including the arrival of the Kong bus, Skyway Jacks, where
nothing on the menu is smaller than your head, Kimberly Kupkake gets thrown out
of the Bug Jam, and Steve and Sharon add two days to my trip.