[tcb] Bulli Bragade trip report-the back side

  • From: "Chuck Blue" <sukchew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 11:58:35 -0600

Sunday: Drove to Ark. so I could ride to Tampa with Denis and Murray.
Day one, Monday.
  We got an early start after replacing a brake cylinder on murray.we left
Denis' early 9:30 ish. a tire check by me, the load master left front tire was
low.That was no problem just stop by the tire shop put in a little air and be
on our way.NOT! a big nail was in the shoulder of the tire so the spare tire
was mounted on his fancy wheels a used spare was installed and we were on our
way about 11:30. an early start for Denis.We had an uneventfull drive to
Birmingham where I spent the night after having Pizza in  at about 10:30.I
spent the night in Birmingham Denis must have gone on to Montgomery without me.
Day two.Tuesday
  After ariving in Montgomery Denis decided a slight detour was in order.We
took I 65 toward Mobile and to Gulf Shores where we took the senic route along
the coast of the forgotten part of Florida.Stopped fpr lunch at Gulf Shores
where we met George a "wild" Heron that had stayed at the restaurant for four
years.
  Apalachicola was the next scheduled stop. we went to Sea Side a Doll town
where everything is scaled down to about 3/4 size including the streets.If you
wanted to park off of the main street a parking permit was required.We made it
thru without scraping anything off the trailer or tearing up there doll
town.Arrived in Apalach about 8:30 sat at the Bar and ate fresh oysters drank
beer and visted with the locals before crashing for the night.
Day three Wednesday
  We had breakfast at the local Apalach internet cafe. It was close when we
arrived but someone unlocked for us and indicade that the cook/owner would be
back soon. This was the second time that Denis arrived there and they opened up
for him. The first time was on his trip of a lifetime on a Sunday morning.
 We took some early morning pics and hit the road Because we were a day early
we decided to stay on the coastal route where the is nothing but swamp and pine
trees untill we reached the Nuke plant at Inglis.It was lunch time so we
decided to eat at the local spot which was very crowded and had really good
food.( what would you expect from a place called Gobblers) it was all you could
eat chicken wednesday.So you can imagine what kind of gobbler we came up with.
 We arrived at Kip's shop in the late afternoon where we managed to look at the
Rare and Unique vehicles which were parked in and around his shop. ( Rare and
Unique is the shop name)We hung out for the first event of the weekend which
started wed. with a  Tequila and bull shit party for mostly locals and very
early arrivals,Us.We survived the evening with very little damage.
Day four. Thursday
  We ran arround and picked up supplies for the" Murray display"which never
happen. went to a full service car wash and had most of Lilly's hair removed
from the truck in anticapation of Jans arrival from Ark.They tried but Lilly's
hair was still in the truck. We picked Jan up and went to the gathering at the
Sonic.There were lots of VWs at the sonic Splits,Bays, Bugs,Ghias.Fredlins,
High tops.and misc. others.
Bed time!
Day five. Friday
 Party day.Yeah,Big day for Denis to clean and polish Murray.The load master
had to escort Jan to a local outlet Mall>#^%@87)(@#$1?+_8&5.Damn.
 I survived until late afternoon when we made it back to Kip's.There were two
giant grills maned by four people grilling chicken tenders.iles of chicken
being processed for the party.I had not had anything to eat so it was a perfect
time to start on the beer.The party didn't start till six and I wanted to be
ready,I was.Cars of all types started arriving around 4:00 and didn't stop
untill I left for the evening.I had to take Jan back to the hotel about mid
evening I think that probably saved my life.I had to drive because I was just
about to have trouble walking.I left Denis to represent me which he did quit
well as is evidenced by his morning after photo.There were 300-350 VWs jammed
into a less then two acre space.everyone was there to party and I think
everyone did it well.Three bands ,not enough food but who cared there was lots
of beer on the beer truck.The party ran out of food twice but not beer and
other stuff.900 tickets were sold for the party but not one Porta Pottie in
sight however the was one working rest room on the other side of the
building.Its a goooooood thing there were lots of bushes.
  Jan discribed the happening as VWs version of woodstock.It was a happening
worth the trip but it must be experienced to be believed.
I thought the party was only for splitties,Boy was I wrong. There were VWs
there that I didn't even know existed and can't spell the names.Lots of slammed
rat bugs, Big engine fire breathing Goth rod complete with spiked
bumpers.Volrods,buses and bugs of every discription.There was a splittie tilt
bed wrecker complete with a tricked out Ghia on board.The mans name was Lowell
Snow who I had met at a Scirocco gathering in Cincy in 2002.where he had a
double cab Rabbit pickup.Damn it's a small world.
A early good nightwas in order.
Day six. Saturday
  Went to Skyway Jacks for a good breakfast before going to Bulli Bragade.Dumy
little place where menus were not only on the menu but also on the walls the
amount of food was almost obscene but tasted great.On to Bulli Bragade where
there were about 130 splitties on display a good swap area where I was able to
score a rear bumper for Blue bus.Trophys were made from the fresh air vent
covers some one got them ,Not Denis.
  A cruise after the show included 70 plus splitties that tried to take over a
rest stop on the freeway only to be thwarted by the stereotype fat Southern
rent a cop and his tall skinney side kick.He didn't like the fact that one bug
was across on end of a handicap lane.There was no handicaps there.So after a
confrontation about that everyone was told to get the one wheel off the grass
or he would call the real cops.Ass Hole mf er!.We moved on to the hotels were
they were taken over by the VW gang. lots more BS and that was the end of the
official Bulli Bragade.
  In the meantime shopper Jan had the run of the Tampa bay area and had found a
BBQ rib cookoff in St Pete which was near were all of the other activities
were.Three bands a carnival midway atmosphere.  Lots of ribs and people.We
didn't eat any people.However the were a couple that I would have beening
willing to munch on.after all I had been away from home for seven days.
 I was forced to sleep in Murray so denis and Jan could have a night without me
being around.I got a good nights sleep and was ready for day seven.
Day seven Sunday
  We left Jan asleep went to Kipo's where we picked up the trailer that by tis
time had been parked unde the en of a flatbed trailer. we had to jerk it
sideways before we could hook up.Back to the hotel where Murry was loaded
picked up Jan and headed for Tampa international airport drove thru dragging
Murray on the trailer. Denis missed everthing with the trailer.we dropped Jan
off and headed for Dade City and  the Bug Jam. we weren't going to be long so
found a parking place on the perminter so we could make an early escape.on the
way thru the parking place we discovered that Kup kake and side kick had been
thrown out of bug jam before they even got in.Denis can tell that part.it was a
giant car show that has in my opinion has reached it's level of incompetence.I
think they were overwhelmed and could not handle the issues that came up.
 We went thru the swap meet and Denis picked up a set of swaybars for Murray
and we saw lots of rare parts.We made a quick walkthru of some of Bug Jam and
were on our way back to Ark.We drove to Quincy Fla.where we got lost and had to
be rescued by Dan Star.We didn't listen to DanStar and got lost again. Dan Star
had had enough of our antics and hung up leaving us to fend for ourselves.After
a good nights sleep we decided to get an early start and do the Cannon ball run
straight thru to Springdale Ark.
  Day eight Monday
   After getting off of I 10 we headed north on 231 the most direct route to
Ark.We had gone 10 or so miles when denis got acall from steve that the cke bus
had puked an engine requiring a tow or an engine or a ? After a few phone calls
we decided it was to far to be of much help.We were 150 plus miles east of
Pensacola headed north.After it was discussed we decided that we would flip a
coin.Steve and Sharon lost. As Dan pointed out after all it was Steve and
Sharon.Turned arround and headed to the rescue we had what they needed,a tow
vehicle and a trailer.Steve needed to be at work on Tuseday.arrangements were
made to leave the Coke bus for Denis and me.Denis had mentioned several times
on the first part of the trip that he would like to drive Murray for a extended
time,Little did he know that the extended trip would be from Kiln Miss. to
Athens tex.We made the pick up around 1:00 and headed west Steve had made
reservations in  Lafayette for us.Denis was spacing out in Murray listening to
? when he pulled a Paul Smith Murray ran out of gas two that's 2 miles from our
exit.The load master who by this time had been promoted to coke bus hauler went
ahead found the last gas can and Managed to rescue Murray from the fate of
vehicles left stripped on the highway.Earlier we had seen a Neon hooked to a
motor home that had the doors and tires stripped off.I don't think Denis was
ready for Muarry to meet that fate.Pizza and a early bed time completed day
eight.
Day nine.Tuesday
 An uneventful day except for me getting lost in Jasper Tex. of all places.We
arrived in Athens about 4:00 unloaded Coke bus and loaded Murray ready for the
last leg.I got to sleep in my own bed after Nine days on the road.Sue fed us
steak and hot apple pie to prepare us for day Nine.
Day ten wednsday
 We  drove to Springdale unloaded Murray and crashed early. we were thankful
that the trip was over and that there had not been any disasters only a bad bus
marred the trip.
Day eleven Thursday
  I drove back to Athens which was the completion of the trip.I started pulling
the engine out of the Coke bus which is mostly done.
I'm waiting for it to warm up and I'll finish jerking the engine out.

This is my detailed report and the back side of Bulli Bragade trip.

ole blue