[tcb] Re: Brakes on a 67

  • From: Mark Sawyer <mechmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 12:08:19 -0700 (PDT)

I am inclined to agree with Sammie, I don't like turning drums if you don't
have to. You have a limited amount of adjustment and increasing the diameter of
the drum just makes it that much harder to get the brakes adjusted properly.

  Just my .02

sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  This will probably open up a can of worms on the site, but on a VW I do not
turn the drums unless absolutely necessary.  Especially on a bug but even on a
bus these drums do not have much metal when new and the more you take off when
turning the weaker you make them, read warped drums the first time you cram on
the brakes hard.  If they are really gouged out and worn then you don't have
much choice, either turn them or buy new ones.  But, be careful in turning them
or you will wind up with warped drums.

ATX BUS <atx_bus@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am going to redo my brake system in prep for my next road trip.

I plan to replace the pads, springs, lines and get the drums turned, etc......
I have done several brake jobs before but this will be my first on a splittie.

The last time I had my front hubs off I noticed a leak and I am hoping this
leak is the cause of lost pressure in the lines I am currently experiencing.
It is a 67 with a one year only master cylinder that I am hoping will not need
to be replaced.

I plan to get these parts from WW, any suggestions or pit falls in a splittie
break job are appreciated.

Jeff