[tcb] Re: Bluebus Blues

  • From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 17:59:20 -0700 (PDT)

That's what happens when you get old Chuck.  This new fangled stuff is hard to
understand.  But Drew is correct on the Oakhill guys.  They are probably the
best VW machine work people this side of CA.  Clarke Sr. has been grinding VW
crankshafts and supplying VW shops all over the south with reground shafts for
about 40 years.  Clarke Jr. is now the #1 machinist in the shop and the primary
tranny builder and Daniel, his brother, is the primary engine builder.  But any
machine work you have to be done if Clark Jr can't do it it probably can't be
done.  And I don't really like to compliment them too much because they are
getting so much VW work to do that they don't have time to do something for me
when I need it.

From: chuck blue <sukchew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sunday, September 28, 2008, 6:07 PM

There is a auto machine shop in Gun barrel.They probably can turn the crank .It
is standard.The engine also has forged rockers, which I think are 1:25:1 ratio.
  Is it feasible to use these rockers with a mild street cam?.I think I may go
ahead and cam it while I am in there.

From: "chuck blue" <sukchew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I am still planning to be at the point.I have pulled the engine and it is
mounted in a engine stand.I pulled the plugs and there is oil on the #4
sparkplug so I think it blew a piston.If it is a stock size I should have it
covered. I have a complete set of pistons and cylinders.I will know tomorrow.
    I drove Bluebus about five miles after it happened so I am pretty sure it's
not a rod or it wouldn't have lasted the five miles.I'll keep you informed.