[tcb] Big Nut Red. Box question?

  • From: "Eric Woodall" <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 08:22:22 -0500 (CDT)

Ok, I've got a question for the split bus gurus.
I recently developed a gear oil leak on the passenger rear wheel.
I am leaking gear oil from between the rubber oil seal, and the outer
spacer (race).  This is the seal that fits into the outer plate (visible
from inside the drum).
Now, I have lots of pictures of how this should go back together, and the
Bentley, etc. but I do not see anything that says how much friction there
should be between this metal spacer and the rubber oil seal...  Basically
now I can just pull the spacer out with my fingers without removing the
oil seal retainer.
Obviously I am going to have to replace this oil seal, but have any of you
ever heard of this happening?
I have only driven about 5,000 since I replaced this seal...

(gotta get this done quick, leaving for F'burg on Friday Morning.)