[tcb] Beach Weekend? [REPOST now that everyone is back from T@TP]

  • From: "Gerald V. Livingston II" <gvl2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 21:18:20 -0500 (Central Standard Time)

And hopefully back from Boerne early tomorrow to read this.

Original message: (No reply yet from the Chamber -- guess I'll look for a
phone number Monday)

And I mean BEACH, not state park campground.

Like most of my posts this is going to ramble a bit as I add to it between
other tasks. Sorry 'bout that.

I'm missing TatP-III next weekend because I screwed up making our calendar
for the year. My next "long weekend" off is Friday, November 3rd through
Wednesday, November 8th (6 days). That's the weekend of my family reunion.

My family rents a beachside cabin every year for the reunion. Not over on
the Island, on the peninsula, east of Rollover Pass. Go to the map at
http://www.swedesrealestate.com/Publish/map15/index.html and look for
"Ampa's Place" on the right side about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom.

I'd like to invite whoever wants to come to camp on the beach in front of
the cabin. Our family always has lots of "extras" so it's a great
opportunity so long as you have a place (bus) to sleep. The place we rent
has two bathrooms so it works out with a little coordination.

Also, if it's available and we have people interested in pitching in we
could rent "Avalon" right next to "Ampa's Place"
http://www.swedesrealestate.com/avalon.htm. It's $300 for the weekend at
winter rates. It's a no-smoking house so smokers would have to "take it
outside" (which would probably allow for greater general use by the group
anyway).

The only thing is -- I don't know the rules for actually camping ON the
beach. The Chamber of Commerce website is pretty sparse on their rules
listings (http://www.crystalbeach.com/brulesC.htm ---- Main page at
http://www.bolivarchamber.org/).

I've written an email to the chamber contact address but since it went out
on Friday I don't expect an answer until later this coming week. I'd like
to possibly turn this into a "last blast" weekend every year and maybe
generate some revenue for donation to the community like TatP. I said as
much in the email to the Chamber (a copy of the email is at the bottom of
this email).

Paul, can you find out how much we generated for the PD last year and this
year AFTER their costs for the hamburger feed?

Anybody interested in coming down let me know. It's 4 weeks away right now.
I'd like to be able to give the Chamber an estimate to further expand on
the possibility of making it an annual thing.

Gerald

----------------Copy of Chamber email-----------------------

Hi,

I have a few questions about beach rules.

My family rents a cabin each year for a family reunion. It is beachfront
just off of Gulf Shores (Swede's rentals, Ampa's Place --
http://www.swedesrealestate.com/ampa2.htm --
http://www.swedesrealestate.com/Publish/map15/index.html).

I am also a member of several Air Cooled Volkswagen enthusiast clubs and we
like to get together several times each year for campouts.

I am missing one of our local (well, Belton, TX -- 300+ miles is local
enough, I go to AZ twice a year) shows next weekend due to work issues. I
would like to invite those who are able to come camp on the beach in front
of the cabin the weekend of my family reunion. That could be one or two
vehicles up to as many as 15 or 20 -- but I would expect a maximum of
around 5 or 6 (those closest to the area, mostly Houstonians).

Looking at your website I see nothing about camping directly on the beach.
We all know how to "clean camp" and leave an area as we found it (sometimes
better than we found it) and I can probably provide references who can
testify to that effect.

If this turns out well we may be able to expand it a bit and attract the 15
- 30 VW crowd and generate donations to local volunteer organizations. The
show/campout next weekend in Belton generates $500+ for the Morgan's Point
Resort police department. We charge $15 to attend and the PD boosters set
up a hamburger feed on Saturday. Two plates are included with admission and
additional plates are $5 each. We do other things like a silent auction of
donated items to generate revenue above the entry fee. The info website for
the show is http://www.23window.com/tatp/

I do see the "No bonfires allowed" note. What about smaller fires if we
cart in (and out) our own firewood?

If there are more than just a very few of us I can also request that
everyone cart out their own trash rather than using the local barrels.

A few have porta-potties for personal needs. We'll also be able to use the
facilities at the cabin as necessary.

This would be the weekend of November 4/5/6.

Any info appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

Gerald Livingston