[tcb] Re: Aux batteries for sale

  • From: Dan Martin <danandkatrinamartin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 08:26:15 -0600

I can bring them to Bulli Gras if anyone else wants one, no problem.

On Jan 24, 2007, at 10:29 PM, Gerald V. Livingston II wrote:

The batteries were too good a deal to pass up. I got them all. Two have
been sold at $175 and are being taken to Dan tomorrow for delivery.

I'm not sure if I'll make it to Bulli-Gras but if anyone else wants one and
can pay (send a check/money order) I can ask Dan if he'd be willing to
deliver them at that time. Anyone who orders and sends me a check before
Bulli-Gras can get them at $175. After that any I have left go to $200
because I'll be paying interest on the investment shortly after that. Since I bought them all there should be 7 left for sale after Dan gets the two
he's already scheduled to get.

Turns out there were 18 available. I'm keeping 8 (may sell 2 of them later current plan is 4 for a UPS at the house and 4 for the bus -- 2 for stereo and 2 for other 12V aux and an inverter) and Chris (my co-worker) gets one
because he's going to pick them up tomorrow then drive to Houston to
deliver to Dan. He already went and got 2 and brought them to me so I could check them out personally. They had stickers showing they had a "topping charge" done in MARCH 2006 -- I stuck an auto-charger on one and it started at 5 amps and was down to 0 amps in less than 20 minutes. Was still holding
a full charge from almost a year ago. The specs say they have a 2 year
shelf charge life.

That leaves 9. The two going to Dan leaves 7.

My UPS at the house came with 14 amp-hour batteries and lasted about 20 minutes under full load. These should get me up to 2 hours at full load
and, since I don't think the things I have on it even pull half load I
should be able to run 6 or 8 hours in a power outage. 2 computers, cable
modem, router, VOIP phone, a couple of CFL lamps.

Gerald

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 11:33:24 -0600 (Central Standard Time) "Gerald V.
Livingston II" <gerald.tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

OK, the lowest I can go is $175 regardless of how many I get (but 5
minimum).

There are 16 available right now. I want 2. Anyone else interested email
me.

Gerald

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 23:02:26 -0600 (Central Standard Time) "Gerald V.
Livingston II" <gerald.tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If I can sell 5 total I can get the price down to $175. That's about $15 less than a Yellow Top and they are rated almost twice the capacity of a
Yellow Top.

I'm planning to buy 2 so I need three more sold. I'll call the guy that has them in the morning and see how many are left. I'm sure they won't last long. I may go ahead and buy 5 to get the better price and sell to those that have emailed already at $175 then any that I have to sit on I'll sell
at $200 later.

My "other half" here at work (Chris) has to go to Houston to get his kids
later this week so I could probably get him to deliver to one of the
Houstonian TCB crewe to pass on to any others who buy one. If I know who he can meet in advance you could maybe get together and pay that person and they could just pay Chris when he shows up. PayPal would work too but I've discovered they're really slow about releasing funds back to one's bank
account.

These are a good deal and a good way to start piecing together a full camping setup like Mark Sawyer's. Also a good source for an emergency jump if your main battery decides to bite it one night (not for use as a daily starting battery though, deep cycle batteries are designed for steady drain
over several hours down to 10.5 volts or less repeatedly, starting
batteries are designed to spit out several hundred amps all at once but
never be discharged really below 11.8 volts).

Add 12 volt inside lighting and and inverter for "primitive" camping. Later on, add an RV power converter/charger (an 80 amp unit can be had on Ebay for about $150) and anytime you have 110 available you run your 12V and A/C accessories from that -- and charge the battery at the same time. A plain
old battery charger can be used while you're saving for the
converter/charger but it won't really run any 12V loads, just charge the
aux battery.

And if you're adding a "thumping" sound system then dual batteries are pretty much a requirement due to the ACVWs weak generator/ alternator. If you have a sound system drawing 20 - 40 amps consistently that only leaves 15 - 25 amps from your 55 amp generator/alternator to run everything else in your bus AND try to charge the main battery. When night driving it may not be enough. With a dual battery setup your aux battery can run the stereo. It may not get much charge at night but day driving (or driving some with the volume turned down a bit <grin>) should bring it back up to speed. Your main battery is never in danger of going flat unexpectedly.

OK, I'm done extolling the virtues of a dual battery setup and trying to sell these to get my price down. I've been saving for a couple of Yellow Tops so I have the money for at least 2 set aside already. If I can get the lower price I may buy a 3rd for myself to put in the Bug when I build the
sound system for it.

This isn't directed at you Eric, I'm pretty sure many people missed my first post because I sent it over the weekend. This is your chance to get
in on the deal. I'll post how many are available after I call in the
morning.

Gerald