[tcb] Re: Any Steering Box guru's out there (early Bay) 1971

  • From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 20:04:44 -0700 (PDT)

Jack up the front end till wheels are off the ground.  Grab tire at 3 o'clock
and 9 o'clock and push one side and pull the other, if you feel looseness it's
probably a tie rod.  Have someone look at the tie rod ends when you do this and
you can see the play if it's the tie rod.

Now grab the tire at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock and push and pull opposite, if
you feel slack and hear clunks it's probably a ball joint.  Have someone look
at the ball joints when you do this and if they are worn you can see the slack
when rocking the tire top and bottom.

Generally playing with the front end and trying to induce play while the wheels
are suspended will diagnose front end wear.