[tcb] Re: Alternator belt problems

  • From: Brian Denning <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 16:06:25 -0600

i think you're only supposed to have 7 shims. do what chuck said, buy a bigger
belt...my local vw place has two different sizes and i made the mistake of
grabbing the wrong one and it didn't matter what i did i had over a half an
inch of play inthe thing. went and bought the right size and i ran 2 shims
inside and the rest outside.> Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 09:42:59 -0600> From:
mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx> To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [tcb] Re: Alternator belt
problems> > Read the book I think you may need alot more shims than 6. I think
I have> about 10-12 shims and move then from inside the pully halves to outside
under> the nut as the belt streches. It's amazing how tight just a couple of
shims> will make your belt.> > > Quoting chuck blue <sukchew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:>
> > If the pulley size is the same buy a new belt of the size you need.> >
----- Original Message -----> > From: Dan> > To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> > Sent:
Saturday, January 05, 2008 8:11 AM> > Subject: [tcb] Alternator belt problems>
> just doesn't fit. Way too tight. The engine is a 1500cc that I just> >
converted to use an alternator. New bottom pulley, new top pulley, new> >
alternator, new alternator belt, new alternator stand. All 6 shims are on> >
the inside between the two halves of the top pulley and the belt is a tight> >
as a bow string. Only thing I can figure is the repop alternator stand is> >
too tall. Anyone else have any suggestions?> >> >> >
Edition.> > Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.13/1209 - Release Date:
1/4/2008> > 12:05 PM> >> > >
Watch “Cause Effect,” a show about real people making a real difference.