[tcb] Re: AFTERMATH OF RITA!!!!

  • From: "Gerald V. Livingston II" <gvl2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 14:03:19 -0500 (CDT)

I'm here. We have about 3/4 of the servers back up on a 5KW generator.
They're still talking several weeks before power is restored. No A/C, no
lights until we get the bigger generator in here. My email is a little
hosed because I have my mail server offline and am working directly from
my sysmatrix mail boxes. It doesn't sort messages as neatly as my setup so
I'm bouncing around a bit.

The servers may go offline for a few minutes once or twice a day when I
refuel the generator. They WILL go offline for a little while when we get
the larger generator in here, hopefully later tonight. We're hoping to
have enough online to be able to accept new customers again in a few days.
Phones, including the local dial-up access numbers in our area are working
fine. Anybody with a generator or a laptop and a way to recharge it (car)
in the affected areas will be able to connect through us until things like
DSL and cable start coming back up.

Computing by kerosene lantern. Running my laptop from an inverter hooked
to the battery I pulled from the Rivi until we put the big gen in and I
can move it to the power outlets. Laptop was never intended for primary
use so I never bothered to get a good battery for it.

Drove about 100 miles NW (a little north of Lufkin) yesterday to buy fuel.
The lines here are about 4 hours long so that was almost faster. If I can
be sure I can get back in here I'll probably be doing that once a week or
so. The boss' wife's mini-van only uses about 8 gallons of fuel for the
trip so it doesn't add to our cost significantly.

Jefferson county, where my house is located, is still locked down. No
entry allowed. I left at least a month's worth of food/water down for the
cats and opened up the upstairs for them. There are no trees around my
house and there was no flooding reported so it, and they, should be OK.
They won't open up the county until basic services (water/sewer primarily)
are restored. Another week or two at least.

Some pictures:

http://www.putfile.com/phorce01/

G2