[tcb] Re: A very goofy gremlin

  • From: Tracy <pepsifreek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 08:50:03 -0600

Hey Julie, your loss of power and stalling might be a coil problem, well not
so much of a coil problem but a coil's not working sometimes because it's
stops getting power problem.

I just spent a minute looking at the 71 schematic.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt2.php

Starting at the Coil  on the positive side ("15" on the schematic) follow
wire 1.5 BLK to terminal 10 on the fuse block which is provided 12v when the
ignition switch is in the on position.

Terminals 10, 11 and 12 are connected together and supply (ignition on) 12v
to the emergency flasher switch, the warning lights on the fuel gauge, the
windshield wiper switch, the rear window defogger switch, the brake
light/warning switch and the horn.

The wire 1.0 BLK/YEL goes from the top side of terminal 10 to the horn which
is grounded when you hit the horn.

Like you said, it's a bit "goofy" but that's the only way the ignition
system and the horn are connected.

From: julie.hey.ho.lets.go@xxxxxxxxx

Sender: tcb-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 20:20:21 -0600

To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

ReplyTo: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Subject: [tcb] A very goofy gremlin

I enjoy gremlins.  They challenge me.  But I have one that I can't beat in
my '71.  And I thought I had.  He is chuckling loudly right now.

I have electronic ignition and this one has been in this Bus for 95,000
miles.  And the horn is no longer the button in the steering wheel, it is a
button off to the side and it has been this way for years.  Otherwise this
is a stock Bus, 1600 dual port, nothing unusual.

Sometimes he won't start.  But I discovered that if I toot his horn then he
will start right up, or he will stall and not start until the horn is
tooted.  This has been happening very intermittently since June.  It always
happens on the way home, never first drive of the day, always after 5
o'clock (this may or may not be a clue).  He never does this when there is a
mechanic or a VW friend that has knowledge greater than mine is around.  I
did bring him to my mechanic a couple of months ago and he cleaned up all of
the corroded wiring that was hiding behind the dash.  It was really green
and crumbly and nasty back there.  We thought that would have done away with
the gremlin.

I was just a my mechanic's Tuesday morning and we were addressing another
problem.  Donner drove the 70 miles there perfectly.  On the way to work
after the mechanic at one point on the highway it was like we were cruising
along at a sprint and then suddenly there was a significant lose of power, I
drifted into the gas station because I needed gas anyways so once he was
filled up, he started up and made it to work like nothing happened.  After
work he drove 40 miles with no problems.  And then at midnight when I was
heading home he stalled in the first 1/4 mile.  Started only after tooting
the horn.  On the highway there were times when I would have sudden stepping
down loses of power, like I was an Olympic sprinter, then a high school
middle distance runner, then an out of shape jogger and then stall. I have
never run out of gas but I assume you would just feel a vehicle slow
smoothly as the gas runs out?  It wasn't like that.  And then honk the horn
and I would be able to start up again.  One time as I was going through
these sudden loses of power I honked the horn and it was like a rocket
booster, he went back to normal for a little while.  So today I was just
going down the road a bit so I thought I would see how Donner behaves.  I
figured if worse came to worse I can just keep doing my honking trick and
make it home, this trick has consistently worked.  But no.  When I was going
to head home, he wouldn't start.  I honked and honked and honked.  Nothing.
My mechanic had me put the key in the on position and un-connect the
solenoid on the carb and it clicked so I was getting power there.  And then
he had me un-plug the wire that goes to the middle of the distributor cap
and my mom would have the engine turn over while I held the wire near metal
and no spark, none at all.  So I could not do the pop the clutch trick to
get started.  My mechanic figured it must be the electronic ignition.  So I
called AAA.  While waiting the hour for the tow truck I fiddled more and
more and tooted the horn and tried and tried to get him started.  Towed him
home.  As soon as the tow truck left the driveway I turned Donner's key,
wouldn't start, wouldn't start, wouldn't start.  Toot the horn and he starts
right up.

My mechanic says that electronic ignition problems aren't intermittent.  It
either works or it doesn't.

I will try to make the 70 mile journey to my mechanic next week but I was
wondering if you guys have any ideas on how to slay this gremlin or at least
chase him a few states away.  The electronic ignition?  The ignition switch
(this one is about 2 years old)?  Constantly beep the horn until someone
shoots me?  Any other ideas?