[tcb] Re: A Lil Mechanical Advice For a Newbie?

  • From: Justin Wilt <sunbugone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 13:19:30 -0600

It is possible to get a false reading on the dipstick.  You want to run the
engine a bit then let it sit.  Make sure the vehicle is somewhat level, then
check the level on the dipstick multiple times.  If you are running
synthetic then don't go back to conventional oil, you will run into
problems.  Overfilled will cause the problems brought up in earlier posts.
 You can unscrew the oil filter and dump out some oil that way but you may
have to let it out through the drain plug.  I have been duped by dipsticks
before, just check it multiple times before deciding to top it up.  As long
as you are somewhere between the lines you should be ok.  Also realize it
takes some time for the oil to drain down and settle before it shows up on
the dipstick.

Justin

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 12:53 PM, sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

--