[tcb] A Bay For Sale

  • From: Julie <julie.hey.ho.lets.go@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 07:25:06 -0500

A great friend of mine is selling his Bay which happens to be the Bus I drove
around southern California and camped in during The Classic a few years ago.  I
found it to be absolutely wonderful.  So if you are looking for camper and do
not mind getting one from California, here are the details for this 1970 Pop
Top (If interested, let me know and I can send you the owner's contact info.)

     It has a salvaged title. It was rescued from a junk yard by a high school
kid before i purchased it back in 1993. At that time it had about 60K miles.
Currently, the bus itself has 130K. The engine in it is a VW Brazil 1600 dual
port, with a dog house oil cooler, correct generator and voltageregulator. The
engine only has 30K. The transmission is a Dave Folts transmission with many
later updates. It is abitchen tranny. While the engine and trans were out, the
shift rods were re bushed. Now, the front end has a replaced steering box, ball
joints, tie rods, etc. The brakes were gone thru before she sat.
    The bus has been sitting for 2 years. It needs tires, although they are ok
for now. The CV's are new with the trans, however the boots need replacing as
do the  ball joint boots.
The interior in the back is fairly original. There are a few holes in the bed
cushion, andthe seat behind the driver is needing new back upholstery which
comes with. Also, the inside of the fiber glass top, where the canvas staples
to is coming detached from the fiber glass itself. The canvas is 15 yeas old,
but you would never guess by looking at it.
      The bus is still original paint which is flat and faded white. TR3 would
do it justice. It needs  a battery traywhich comes with. The front right nose
was previously hit which is likely why it is salvaged. It has since been
repaired, but needs paint. It is in primer. The only other sore spot is behind
the sliding door, the track cover caught sprinklers for a while. The bolts
there are rusted.
     Currently, it needs a drivers window regulator which i also have, and the
engine to be serviced. I just replaced the battery.
It has s trip speedometer the reads KMP, but the odometer counts in MPH.
Strange, but true. There is a clock next tothe speedo. The dash has one small
1" crack in it. It hasventilator fans. The rear window defroster does not work.
There is a trailer hitch bolted to it designed and manufactured by OCTO Erik.
Lots of originality to this bus.
I want $7,500.00 for it the way it sits. It has many other neat things I have
not mentioned in regards to parts bolted on it.  Deluxe front grill trim, vent
shades, side step...etc... If you want to chip the price down, parts come off.
I prefer not to haggle, and just sell it as is. No fuss...no muss. This is also
why I prefer not to throw it on The Samba.