[tcb] Re: 0-50...

  • From: "Denis Dodson" <coocoo@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 09:17:40 -0600

Honestly, Brian, I cannot really Imagine that you are wildly breaking speed limit rules with your bus. Just be calm and wait for even a small show with a swap area and you can find about a million old speedometers, even if yours is a one year special.

I wouldn't buy a re-built or a new or even one off the internet where you would have to pay shipping. They are soooo common. Any one of us can mail you one from Nac.

You can take the one you have out and spray electric motor cleaner, then air to dry it and then silicone spray. Tap it all over and try it. You never know.

My speedo has been off by 10 MPH since I changed the tires. When on the highway I drive with my tach.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Denning" <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>
From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 20:17:50 -0700 (PDT)

Brian: Sounds like the speedo may be trying to freeze up which could be the reason you broke the original speedo cable. Early VWs have been known for freezing up the odometer which will break the cable, and can cause erratic speedo needle before the cable breaks. Think I would try a different speedo. Also make sure you have the cable firmly in the little square hole in the bearing cap. Also check to make sure the hole in the bearing cap still has a good square hole. Sometimes these things get wallowed out and allow the cable to spin in the hole. BUT, from your description of the problem I would suspect the odometer is binding and about to freeze up.

evilscientistboo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:  Time warp

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile