[tbilisimakerspace] Re: Oxwall vs Buddypress vs phpBB (was: Re: Oxwall vs Buddypress)

  • From: Giorgi Kandelaki <kandelakig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tbilisimakerspace@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 12:52:35 +0400

Hi Sebastian, hi all,

Thanks for making me admin (btw how you did it?).

Guys, you know... I'm afraid we are doing it wrong:
People are choosing between alternatives, just by it's default appearances, and
by features they see on main menu.
But appearance will (must) change and all our alternatives have tons of other
features which are not listed by default.
I believe that we can achieve our goal with each of this alternatives, more, if
we try hard enough, we can make websites on buddypress and oxwall which will be
undistinguishable. Question is, how easy it will be?
So, I think that we should make decision according to this criteria:
Major criteria:
how simple is to maintain (administrate) it
how simple is to customize it
appearance
choose good theme
make your own custom theme

functionality
get necessary plugin
make you own plugin

Minor criteria:
how active is it's developer community
how well documented is it
any known problems
etc.

Thus, one should not vote, until (s)he checks at least the admin-panel of each
platform. That's why I asked you to make me admin.

And at last, I think, decision must be made not by overall consensus (or
voting), but by them who will work on customization and maintenance of the
site. All other people can just list their priorities and needed features, so
the tech-guys can then decide which platform is more suitable for their
particular means.

Sebastian, so far, it looks like you are that "tech-guy". I can try to help in
everything, but I'm database programer, I'm not strong in "web". Know some
HTML+CSS and Javascript, but no PHP. And had never built sites on engines like
Wordpress.

--
Giorgi Kandelaki