[talks-uk] Re: T-mobile disbands Disability Services Team!

  • From: "DurDevil" <durdevil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Talks-Uk Email group <talks-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 14:57:16 +0000

Hi All

This is all personal preference really isn't it? I mean for me personally I
don't care if they have good knowledge on disability because I'm independent
and very patient and I would rather find out what's available myself rather
than relying on the phone company because they are often just glorified sales
people who don't necessarily know everything that they should - but I'm sure a
lot of blind people would just rather deal with the phone company and the phone
come ready for use which is fair enough. But even on a dedicated disability
department it still comes down to that persons knowledge and also the questions
you ask, just because Mr Smith works for the disability dept it doesn't mean
that he knows all about Talks for example as he might have only dealt primarily
with deaf people etc etc, at the end of the day the best people equipped for
advice on accessibility needs are people that primarily focus on that area that
applies to your needs - the likes of Comp Room and TalkNav for example or RNIB,
Action for blind etc etc depending on what your trying to achieve.

I would rather deal with the phone company as just a network provider just like
a normal person and I'll sort Talks and a phone myself and the only times I
phone the network is to negotiate my next tariff! Everyone has different
preferences and different needs just like a network and tariff that suits me
wont be the same as someone else because I may have a preferred network and
cheap deal due to my loyalty, I prefer to get Talks sorted myself and through a
dealer such as Steve or Neil but some like to get it all sorted through their
network provider - it's horses for courses isn't it.... Or as I like to say -
Tomato, Potato :-) were all different and that's what makes us interesting :-)

If it were my choice I would not have a dedicated department, I would just like
the option of a newly blind/partially sighted individual to be able to say to
the normal staff - "oh I just realised, I'm blind. Can I have a phone that is
accessible please?" and the staff simply access a accessibility tab on their
system and wholla all the info is there for them to inform you with. No need
for specially trained staff which wouldn't be any better (unless they only
dealt with blind people all the time so their info was up to date anyway)

But hey, if we didn't all have our opinions we would just be robots! And we've
all seen that doesn't end well unless Arnie is on your side LOL!

    Cheers

Pete