[talks-uk] Re: Spell Word announcement

  • From: "Ibrahim Gucukoglu" <ibrahim_gucukoglu@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <talks-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 06:14:00 +0100

Hi Steve.

The E71 has a predictive text function, not just auto correction. Its called Extended T9 or XT9 for short and this is covered in a paragraph of the talks manual and the E71 user guide. Basically it works the same way as the standard predictive text function on any Nokia handset that's gone before, the chief advantage being that because you have the qwerty keyboard, its more of an acceleration feature. For instance, if we're typing the word "because" I would type b e c then hit the down arrow to see what if any suggestions are available. Once I've found the one I want, I hit the select key and the word is entered. Another feature which you refer to as auto correction has two modes, the medium function being correction based on prediction and high, which you'd use if your clumsy and likely to hit the wrong key IE a J instead of a K.

I hope this explains things better for everyone who has and uses this phone.

All the best, Ibrahim.

From: "Steve Nutt" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 18/08/2009 19:14

Hi Eleanor,

There is no advantage. The QWERTY keyboards don't use predictive. Predictive only kicks in if you use the front panel. I don't like QWERTY keyboards on
phones, they are too small.

From: "Saqib" <Saqib500@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 18/08/2009 1:25 PM

Hi Angela if you have a querty keypad then pridictive texting is brilliant.
I use to struggle with it when I had a numeric keypad phone.