[talks-uk] Re: Predictive Text

  • From: "Eleanor Burke" <eleanorburke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <talks-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 17:28:35 -0000

You are not being very clear for me Barbra but I will try and answer your query.

While I do not use PD on the e71 as I am still improving my keypad skills, which are 99% now, I did give PD a go at the beginning. When you set PD on the e71 you will have found that you have options for 4, 8 or 12 words to be suggested. You might like to try with each of these in turn to see if it helps with what you are saying.

Now I have absolutely no problem with PD on the numeric keypad and absolutely love it. If you write a word and it is not the correct word then you have an opportunity to cycle through the choices by pressing the * key, bottom left (I know you know) but I am writing for everyone here. keep pressing the * Astrix key until you get no more options and if your choice is still not there you then press soft key one. This produces an Edit box where you write the word you want. The writing of the word will automatically be done in non-predictive mode. Once written press select and your word is there in the body of the text. This word will now be in the predictive for future writing so only has to be inputted (if there is such a word *smile*) the once.

I know it can certainly be difficult teaching people how to do PD. VI friends have asked me but they have not grasped the concept for some reason. I think it is something you can either do or not do and I am not being patronising in any way here. When I learned it, I just had to sit for a few hours, about 2 really giving it a go. At first I was slow but then it just all falls in to place. Just kept using a practice text if you know what I mean. Once I had it, it was a matter of getting up speed and I'd say for myself this took me a few days but in the end it is as automatic as 'driving a car', well maybe not yourself exactly driving, but it is just an almost automatic reflex type of thing.

Hope this helps a little. no doubt others willhave a lot to say on the subject too.

Eleanor
----- Original Message ----- From: "Barbara Wilson" <barkingbabs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>