[talks-uk] Re: Note From Moderator - I Phone Discussion

  • From: "Matt Brown" <matthew_brown@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <talks-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 23:33:29 +0100

Didn't want to cause any problems Steve, but the point of discussing this here was to try and force Nuance's hand! I can't believe no one from Nuance is subscribed to this list, and I hoped that this frank discussion about a serious rival for talks on a Nokia platform might make people at Nuance sit up and pay attention! After all, Nuance would really luck out if Voiceover on the IPhone got so good that we all started buying it wouldn't it!

I'm a big talks lover and have had the software for a number of years, and I'd like to think I'll be able to choose the phones I want and still be able to use my screen reader of choice in the future. Quite honestly though, if Nuance continues to drag its feet on introducing support for a more diverse range of handsets, I think the company may very well see a significant drop in sales in the near future.

Mobile Speak for example, is supporting a whole range of top-end Samsung products which are all series 60 handsets, but not a one of those phones is on the talks list! I think that's shocking quite frankly, and something that the makers of talks, for which this list is set up, need to address.

So from my point of view anyway Steve, this wasn't so much a discussion about the IPhone and its features, more a case of using the IPhone and also the Mobile Speak product as a way of drawing attention to the problems which are just starting to make themselves known with the Nuance offering, namely that Nuance is quite frankly, falling behind, and will fall even further behind if they don't immediately revise this idea of only sticking to 3rd addition Symbian! Its time talks had support for more handsets than just Nokias, and I think this discussion has been very helpful in highlighting this fact.

Let the matter now be considered closed,

Regards,

Matt