[talks-uk] Re: N97 Mini Answering A Call

  • From: "DurDevil" <durdevil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Talks-Uk Email group <talks-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 22:25:25 +0100

Hi Eleanor

Assuming that these bands going across the screen are the same on the Mini
as they are on the N97 Classic........

If you have the screen unlocked and receive a call you can simply touch the
answer or end call touch areas, however if you have the screen set to be
locked if not used (I do) then you have three  options....

Option 1. set the phone to allow any key answer (personally I do not like
this as it allows the error of answering a call in your pocket by mistake)
2. use the phones side slider switch to unlock the screen and then use the
normal answer call/end call touch areas
3. and this is what I use...... Use the  swipe gesture command........

Ok so with the phone in portrait view,, you have the talks key/menu key
bottom left then to the right the answer key and end call key to the right
of that.... So imagine that as a strip roughly a fingertip depth and running
the width of the phone..... (bear with me, I'm getting to the point!)

So, you receive a call, you then get two graphical displays sliding across
the screen - I believe they are also roughly a fingertip in depth and also
run the same width of the phone, one goes one way and one the other way....

So, you get this call, your screen is locked...... You are presented with
the two graphical arrow things going left and right....

1. directly above the Talks key is the first one, this goes from right to
left and I believe says something like swipe this way to unlock the screen
(and it displays the right to left direction with a graphical arrow thing)
so this is if you wish to unlock the screen and then use the answer or end
call keys as usual and manipulate all by touch - you start your swipe of the
finger on the right and go towards the left - but if your just going to
unlock in order to manipulate the answer/end keys then it's possibly quicker
to just use the side unlock switch! But anyways if you do wish to then this
swipe is running directly  above the fingertip depth of the row that has the
Talks key, answer and end call touch keys if that makes sense!

The next swipe option, which as you would expect runs directly above the
first one and therefore about two fingertip depth's from the bottom of the
phone..... This says something like swipe here to answer the call (I use
this to answer calls) this goes from left to right and the graphical display
arrow moves in that direction to indicate this. The best way to explain how
to find the position is to get your thumb, place the knuckle on where the
talks key is (but don't press on it) your thumbs tip should then roughly be
in the position for the swipe and then just go left to right on the screen
and it should answer the call - I would suggest playing around to get the
best "rule of thumb" for you so you can get the thumb or finger positioning
best for your personal use as we all have different sized hands after
all...... But once you get your own "rule of thumb" sorted you'll find it
quick and easy to manipulate

Hope this helps and sorry if it's a bit of a poor explanation but I only got
home at 3am yesterday and back to work today so I'm a little tired!!

I also have my phone set to silence a call by rotation, so if I'm in a
position when I can't take the call but don't want to reject it or mess
around, I can just turn the phone over on a table, or rotate it in my pocket
and it will silence the call, so the caller just thinks you are not
available right now rather than them thinking you are ignoring them by
rudely cutting them off, older phones needed a 3rd party app to apply this
but the N97 Classic and probably most newer Nokia's have it built in - it's
under menu>settings>phone>sensor settings>turning control

Cheers

Pete