[talks-uk] Re: N86

  • From: "DurDevil" <durdevil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Talks-Uk Email group <talks-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 20:13:58 +0000

Alistair

Don't bother with the Iphone mate, yes it has built in speech/magnification
but despite this it is not that blindy friendly! There are lots of reviews
on the internet for it which have been done by blind people but the speech
is not accurate enough and you will never get the support and functionality
from the accessibility functions that you would get from Nuance Talks &
Zooms and their associated resellers.

In addition to this, you can't have a spare battery as it's built in and not
changeable (and a lot of blind folks like to carry spare power with them)
plus it has always been behind on basics such as picture messaging, camera
spec, limited Bluetooth connectivity features etc etc, it may be getting
there but it's always lagged on silly things.

I'm not anti the Iphone so don't get me wrong, it's very slick but I
wouldn't suggest someone that is visually impaired choose this over a Nokia
with Nuance support. I know a lot of people with Iphones and they are not
the big deal they are made out to be :-) it's not a phone that you will have
and keep and use for years its more of a temporary "cool at the moment"
device

Hope this helps and doesn't come across as too anti the Iphone!

Cheers

Pete