[talks-uk] Re: Music file types

  • From: "Eleanor Burke" <eleanorburke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <talks-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 12:26:30 -0000

OK Paul, point taken but there comes a point when people could exchange off list and it is just the same few people so that is a possability.

Eleanor
----- Original Message ----- From: "All formats" <allformats@xxxxxxxxx>
From: "All formats" <allformats@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 12/01/2009 16:47

Hi Barbara

I would think it is as you suggested.  That you can't convert them
because they originate through Itunes.

I am surprised that you are able to convert some from that source and
not others.  I believe that Itunes is very strict with their DRM
(Digital Rights Management).  DRM can be more strict on some files
than others anyway.  e.g. You would be able to copy some files to a
certain device and there would be a set amount of times you could do
this whilst other levels of DRM may restrict you to one PC and one
device such as an Ipod.

I have heard that a work around is that if you burn a CD through
Itunes or equivalent and then rip the CD through Windows media player
or equivalent, that the ripped tracks can be copied without the DRM
limitations.

I have had mixed results with this too so, you might want to try it
to see what happens.

I say this as someone who does not recommend or support any type of
illegal file sharing etc but, I do get very frustrated when I buy a
music track that is so restricted that I can't even copy it to my
phone to hear away from my PC.

Hope my response is helpful to you and here's hoping I haven't
started a mad discussion on this topic about legalities etc <smile>!

Cheers.

Paul

*****

 _____