[talks-uk] Re: Music file types

  • From: "Caroline Ford" <caroline@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Talks-Uk@Freelists. Org" <talks-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 20:13:24 -0000

Yes, Barbara, I have purchased one single track and an entire album from
Play.com and found the process very straightforward.  The album was downloaded
in a zip file which I then had to unzip.  All files are MP3, DRM-free, and some
are encoded at 192 kbps while others are 320 kbps.  I believe you can
re-download files as many times as you like if you go back to My Account and
select your Order History.

I've also bought one album from Amazon.  You do have to install the download
manager to be able to download the whole album in one go, which I managed to do
with Jaws 10.  I wouldn't say that the process was quite as simple as with Play
and I did have a problem with one track from Amazon which wouldn't download,
but I e-mailed their customer support who were excellent as they very quickly
re-set my access to the album so I could try again.  You do only get one
attempt to download your MP3's with Amazon, so need to make a back-up as soon
as you can.

Amazon tend to be a bit cheaper for the very latest albums with some costing as
little as £3, but I've found that Play has the wider choice, at least at
present, although Amazon's service hasn't been available quite as long as
Play's, so they will probably catch up.

Caroline.

From: "All formats" <allformats@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 12/01/2009 17:38

No they don't you are quite right.

You do need the file downloader from Amazon though.  Otherwise, you can only
buy and download one file at a time.

Have you used the downloader and how accessible is it if you have please?

I know this might be a bit OT, so, if you want to email me off list that is
fine.

Thanks.

Paul Hopkins - Manager

(All Formats)

Queen Alexandra College

Court Oak Road

Harborne

BIRMINGHAM

B17 9TG

Tel:

0121 428 5018

Fax:

0121 428 5048

E-mail:

allformats@xxxxxxxxx

Web:

www.allformats.org.uk

Allformats - Braille, Audio, Digital and Large Print Resources for Access by
People with a Visual Impairment.

*****

Confidentiality and Disclaimer:

This email and its attachments are intended for the addressee(s) only and
may be confidential or the subject of legal privilege.  If this email and
its attachments have come to you in error you must take no action based on
them, nor must you retain them, copy them, distribute them or disclose their
contents to any other person.

Please contact the sender immediately to notify them of the error.

Opinions, conclusions and other information in this e-mail that do not
relate to the official business of Queen Alexandra College shall be

*****

From: "All formats" <allformats@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 12/01/2009 16:47

Hi Barbara

I would think it is as you suggested.  That you can't convert them because
they originate through Itunes.

I am surprised that you are able to convert some from that source and not
others.  I believe that Itunes is very strict with their DRM (Digital Rights
Management).  DRM can be more strict on some files than others anyway.  e.g.
You would be able to copy some files to a certain device and there would be
a set amount of times you could do this whilst other levels of DRM may
restrict you to one PC and one device such as an Ipod.

I have heard that a work around is that if you burn a CD through Itunes or
equivalent and then rip the CD through Windows media player or equivalent,
that the ripped tracks can be copied without the DRM limitations.

I have had mixed results with this too so, you might want to try it to see
what happens.

I say this as someone who does not recommend or support any type of illegal
file sharing etc but, I do get very frustrated when I buy a music track that
is so restricted that I can't even copy it to my phone to hear away from my
PC.

Hope my response is helpful to you and here's hoping I haven't started a mad
discussion on this topic about legalities etc <smile>!

Cheers.

Paul

  _____