[talks-uk] Re: Memory

  • From: "DurDevil" <durdevil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: talks-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 17:05:09 +0000

Hi Neil, its odd that Nokia do not state that class 6 works in these phones and
the one they recommend (a Mu-44) is a class 2. Mine is for a N97 but it takes
the same card as your N86 so if yours takes a class 6 then mine should. I will
have a look at the price difference though as i have good on board memory so
maybe dont need a super fast extra memory if it works out much more money.
Thanks for your input. Pete

From: "Neil Barnfather - TalkNav" <talks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 09/11/2009 10:01 am

Ibrahim and Pete,

The class 6 cards can go up to 20mbps, I use these primarily as you say for
video and high end photography, however, if you plan on loading up your card
with music they do benefit the search speed especially the first time the phone
searches through the card.

On my N86 that has a 16Gb class 6 card in it filled with music this speed
difference was notable when compared to a class 2 card of the same size.

On my Victor Reader Stream with a 32Gb class 6 card in it, the card can be
inserted fully loaded with content and is up and running in about half a second
ready to go, something which Humanware report as very good considering.

There's no doubt that most of the benefit is found in these cases in the
initial discovery of content, however, can make a difference if you jump around
allot through your collection, or from audio books to music, to other content
etc.

From: "Ibrahim Gucukoglu" <ibrahim_gucukoglu@xxxxxxxx>
Date: 07/11/2009 10:04 pm

Hi Pete.

I use play cards in both my mobile and digital book players and find them to
be perfectly satisfactory.  Of course, you can buy higher speed cards, but
people generally only buy the higher speeds for full motion video recording
or high megapixel photography because of the larger sizes of the files.

All the best, Ibrahim.
From: "Ibrahim Gucukoglu" <ibrahim_gucukoglu@xxxxxxxx>
Date: 07/11/2009 9:15 pm

Hi Pete.

The class refers to the speed of the flash memory.  I'm not entirely sure
what it means in real terms, but to give an example, a class 4 card will be
slower than a class 6 card and so on.  Play do an excellent memory card,
fairly priced at under £30.  This gives a read write speed of up to 8 MBPS.

All the best, Ibrahim.