[talks-uk] First Wayfinder, now Trekker, where do we go from here?

  • From: "Walter Ramage" <wpr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <talks-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 16:05:19 +0100

Hi all.  I am interested in acquiring an accessible portable GPS system.
Firstly Wayfinder hits the dust and now The Trekker Pro has followed.  My
question is; is there another GPS system with the features of Trekker or
even of Wayfinder that is accessible and works well with talks.  The trekker
breeze is of no use to me as you have to walk or drive the rout first and in
any case it, as is the Trekker Pro is a stand alone unit.  I need a rout
finder and not a rout reminder.  The Captain system is apparently a waste of
space never mind money and although there seems to be a lot of talk on the
net about blind friendly GPS, there doesn't  seem to be anything concrete.
I have the 6210 navigator but the access to the GPS is impossible and I
would imagine if it was accessible, it wouldn't give turn by turn
instructions.  I might be wrong but it seems nokia maps are strictly for the
sighted.  If anyone has any constructive suggestions I would be grateful.  I
read a news article on the BBC web site about a test being carried out in
Italy using Talks and GPS but it didn't seem very good as I think it meant
if you had trouble you could connect to a call centre and the operator would
give you a turn by turn guide in real time, sounds rather dangerous to me
when the blind person should be giving their full attention to their
mobility rather than listening to someone on the phone trying to guide them
and on a busy city street it would be impossible to hear or understand the
operator.  It would seem to me things are taking a backwards step.  Walter.