[talks-uk] Re: Destination Reached, for Wayfinder Access

  • From: "Eleanor Burke" <eleanorburke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: talks-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 16:33:06 +0100

I an not obstructive Paul and look forward to my refund in the months ahead.
Neil gave me a satisfactory response for which I would like to thank him once
again. Eleanor
From: "Neil Barnfather - TalkNav" <forums@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 16/07/2010 9:50 am

Apologies for the cross list posting, if you own a Wayfinder Access license,
or know someone who does, the below message is essential reading.

Dear All,

As many of you will be aware, Wayfinder Access, the only accessible GPS
point to point navigation solution for the Symbian platform was discontinued
in early 2010. Following this move, myself along with several other users of
the access product began a protest petition site with the intention of
raising our plight to the powers that be at Vodafone Group Plc based here in
the UK.

Vodafone had in early 2009 purchased Wayfinder with a view to offering GPS
products throughout its global network of mobile phone carriers, however,
with the advent of free GPS products from Nokia and Google to name but a few
as well as other technical difficulties, Vodafone quickly discovered that it
couldn't monetize its investment. Unfortunately they chose to terminate the
Wayfinder range of products and this included the only accessible GPS turn
by turn application on the Symbian platform.

After months of negotiations, and an extensive media campaign, I have
finally reached an agreement with Vodafone on behalf of all Wayfinder Access
users. Sadly the package does not include an exchange element, much to my
deepest regret, Vodafone have decided not to take this option.

Together with several key players in the accessible GPS market, TalkNav had
arranged an excellent proposal solution whereby end users received a
completely accessible alternative GPS product in exchange for their existing
WF Access license. The proposal would cost Vodafone no more than the refund
program is going to cost them, and they'd have received significant positive
feedback from us as a user group should they have opted for this route.

The proposed alternative exchange product included both a new hardware unit
and software, and would have outperformed significantly Wayfinder Access's
capabilities. Furthermore it was usable by all existing WF Access users in
every territory to which it was sold. The hardware was small and light
weight and an immensely practical solution. Even better was that this move
would have opened these currently unavailable accessible GPS markets, other
than for WF Access, to new users also purchasing accessible GPS technology.
Therefore this program would have benefited the wider community of blind
individuals out there.

As the case is, and the answer is final, Vodafone have decided to leave many
hundreds of you without an accessible GPS alternative solution, and instead
simply part-refund you. We have repeatedly raised the objection that this
proposal does not allow for many users who have no alternative, that our
program would have introduced that alternative, and would have opened that
market for other users to buy said solution. As stated though, sadly this
was not to be.

Vodafone have decided to release the source code for Wayfinder into the
wider community for open source development, however, given the nature of
the code and the fact that so very much has changed within the GPS and
Symbian world since Wayfinder last significantly updated their source code.
It will be more difficult to expect a development firm to be able to easily
modify the product and support it on a new platform outside the existing
infrastructure, not withstanding expensive.

The agreed part-refund rate for all WF Access license holders, irrespective
of purchase date, last usage or single region licensed is €300.

This figure will be paid directly by Wayfinder to all users who successfully
complete and qualify under their refund program, details of which will be
finalized and published by Vodafone in late Summer 2010.

The part-refund is to be paid per license held, and therefore it can be
assumed that for those of you with multi-region licenses that you, should,
receive a refund of €300 per region that you have licensed. So this is good
news especially for those who purchased the World region product exclusively
available through TalkNav.

I cannot express to you all, my most sincere regret that Vodafone Group and
Wayfinder have taken this approach given the obvious and clear benefits
available to both sets of parties and the seemingly lack of negatives.
Ultimately though, the decision is not ours to make and it has been made by
Vodafone Group as outlined above.

Vodafone have stated that they expect the program to begin commencement in
late Summer 2010, and that the program will be operated via an accessible
online service backed up by a UK service centre.

-Statement Ends-

Twitter: @neilbarnfather

Neil Barnfather
TalkNav

Talks List Administrator

TalkNav is a Nuance Accessibility dealer, with online activation codes sent
directly to your inbox minutes after ordering, why not use TalkNav today?

www.talknav.com
sales@xxxxxxxxxxx

07:35:00