[talks-uk] Re: ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE FOR MOBILES

  • From: "DurDevil" <durdevil@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: talks-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2010 17:48:15 +0100

Hi there

 actually there are a few options, but they are mostly pointless because the
Symbian platform is one of the most secure platforms - your only really
likely to get a virus on your phone if you actually install a application
from an untrustworthy source.

For added security just make sure your settings in application manager
(found in your settings area of the phone usually) are set to allow only
"signed only" applications to be installed and have "online certificate" set
to "On" that way you have added reassurance that only an application that
has received Symbian signing approval can be installed and that will be
verified upon installation because it can check online..... But note that
you will need to turn this added security off when installing a Talks TTS
Voice engine because these are not signed  (Talks is, but the voices are
not) and will not install if you have taken this approach for reassurance -
but as long as you get these from trusted sites such as your Talks dealer or
the Nuance website itself you will have no worries!

One of the most heard of virus apps is called F-Secure  if you really want
one though, and if you really want to lock down then you could get in an
application called Track and Protect.

Personally I don't bother but then I install apps that are not signed yet
and also keep my phone on me at all times and if anyone even tries they will
get a very solid white cane hitting them!!

Hope this helps

Pete