[tabi] Re: why so many pedestrian accidents; was Re: pedestrian/auto accident report yesterday

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 16:17:58 -0400

I agree with William here: police don't in force the laws regarding
wrecklace driving, in my opinion, when it happens as part of a right on
red, probably because they turn right on red themselves quite
frequently, and figure it could have happened to them.

I think it's happening much more often because of cell phones, and other
distractions, although the right on red is just designed for accidents
to begin with.

So, if it's happening a lot more often, and police aren't doing anything
about it, it's a dangerous combination!

The other times, when a blind pedestrian is involved, I think they
automatically just assume the blind person can't see what they're doing,
so probably stepped out into traffic at the wrong time.  You'd have to
have several very vocal witnesses before you could overcome this
prejudice.  Therefore, I think the driver will seldombe be charged when
a blind pedestrian is involved.