[tabi] Re: recent Perspectives show

  • From: "Chip and Allie Orange" <acorange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 17:32:23 -0400

I too listened to it Owen, and thought it was well done.
However, I may have missed it, but no one really talked about the problems of
the
blind community: especially the nearly 70% unemployment rate, leaving ALL SUCH
people
living below the poverty level.  They certainly made it sound like all blind
people
were taught how to deal with their blindness, given a long white cane, and a
job.
There was no balance to the show at all because of this; there was no outcry
that
society needs to do better; there was no discussion that SSDI is about to fail,
and
plans to roll-back all benefits  by 21% in shortly over a year; there was no
discussion
that many parts of our society (in addition to employment) are still
inaccessible,
and so the ADA still needs to be strengthened.  Or how about on the local level,
the huge increase in Dial-a-Ride ridership at the same time as their budget is
seemingly
decreased, so that the reports I am hearing is that it's getting harder and
harder
to get a ride.
We can recognize people who are doing good work, and who have made unusual
achievements
in their lives; I'm all for that, but we need to never let up on all these other
issues which need more work.  If we do let up, then things will simply stop
going
forward.  It already feels that way to me; I have an intuitive feeling that
fewer
blind people are employed now than were employed 20 years ago, and are making
less
money.  With the supreme court just having decided that affirmative action
programs
are no longer required to redress problem hiring and admission areas of our
society,
how much longer can we count on having the support of groups such as DBS?  How
much
longer will the government feel like they have to set aside some jobs for the
disabled,
and create programs to see that they are assisted to get employment?
I don't know, but these are important topics that could have been brought to the
forefront of everyone's minds.