[tabi] Re: microsoft security essentials

  • From: "Allison and Chip Orange" <acorange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 20:47:32 -0500

Hi all,

here are some quick questions and answers re this new product from
Microsoft:

Q: How is this different from Windows Defender?
A:
 Windows Defender detects and removes known spyware only. It is not designed
to protect
against the full breadth of malicious software, and specifically does not
prevent
viruses, worms, Trojans, and other malicious software from infecting your
machine.
The new no-cost solution will be a comprehensive anti-malware solution.
Q: Is Microsoft Security Essentials designed to replace Windows Defender?
A:
No but if you are running Microsoft Security Essentials, you do not need to
run Windows
Defender. Microsoft Security Essentials is designed to disable Windows
Defender in
order to manage the PC's real-time protection, including anti-virus,
rootkits, Trojans
and spyware.
Q: Does installing Microsoft Security Essentials disable Windows Defender
A:
Microsoft Security Essentials should disable Windows Defender on Vista and
Windows
7 and uninstall it from XP. In some cases, this does not happen
automatically.
Q: Do I need to manually disable or uninstall Windows Defender if I am using
Microsoft
Security Essentials?
: If Microsoft Security Essentials did not automatically disable Windows
Defender
on Vista or Windows 7, you should disable it to prevent conflicts. Windows
Defender
cannot be uninstalled from Vista or Windows 7.
If Microsoft Security Essentials did not automatically uninstall Windows
Defender
on XP, you should manually uninstall Windows Defender via Control Panel/Add
or Remove
Programs.
Q: What happens if I do not disable or uninstall Windows Defender if I am
using Microsoft
Security Essentials?
: If Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Defender are both running,
your system
may experience performance degradation and other problems caused by the
conflict
of two services providing real time protection simultaneously.
Edited by
Stephen Boots MVP , Moderator