[tabi] an idea for Nova 2010

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 14:21:49 -0500

Hi all,

I know this hasn't been discussed all that much, but one of the
potential problems I see with nova 2010 is that a lot, if not all, of
the bus stops will be relocating.  It seems likely that those who have
memorized the locations of the current stops will have some difficulty
in locating the new stops from just a text description.

so, the idea I'd like to hear comment on, is how about use of the
devices that I just posted a press release for, the SoundPost?  it looks
to me if StarMetro, or someone, would purchase and install the base
stations at the bus stops, and someone would buy and distribute for a
nominal price the handheld units, these would do nicely for helping
people locate the stop.

the site isn't entirely clear on how they work, so I called the
developer, and we spoke for a few minutes.  the base stations emit an
I/R beam, and the hand helds vibrate or beep when you come within range.
you can then begin to move the handheld in a circle, aiming it at
different directions, and you'll get a strong indication as to which
direction the beam is coming from, plus a spoken identification of the
type of installation the unit is placed at (it's any of 185 different,
predefined, types such as "bus stop", "women's restroom", "government
building", etc.).  they have a range of about 30 meters, or 90 feet.

so, does anyone else think these things would be helpful for this
project, and should we take this idea to StarMetro?

thanks.